Regardless of how you feel about this holiday, these yummy cupcakes will bring happiness to anyone who eats one!
Here’s what you need:
2-1/2 c cake flour
1-1/2 c sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 TBSP cocoa powder
1 tsp salt
2 large eggs
1-1/2 c vegetable oil
1 c buttermilk (how to make buttermilk if you’re out!)
2 TBSP red liquid food coloring
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp distilled white vinegar
For the frosting:
8 oz cream cheese
5 TBSP unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 tsp vanilla extract
2-1/2 c confectioners’ sugar, sifted
Let’s do this!
1. Preheat oven to 350. Line cupcake pans.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together cake flour, sugar, baking soda, cocoa powder and salt.
3. In a large bowl, combine eggs, vegetable oil, buttermilk, food coloring, vanilla, and vinegar. Beat on medium speed until well blended. Add dry ingredients a cup at a time, blending all the while, about 2 minutes.
4. Pour batter into lined pans.
Hoo boy – that looks weird pouring out of that spoon.
Pop into oven.
5. Bake for about 18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool in pans for 5-10 minutes.
6. Now make the frosting! Combine the cream cheese and butter with a mixer until smooth, about 2-3 minutes. Mix in vanilla extract. Slowly add confectioners’ sugar and continue mixing until smooth.
Hooooooooooooo boyyyyyy! At this point I realized I accidentally threw in the entire stick of butter. Yes, 3 extra tablespoons. Let’s see if anyone notices…
7. Frost/decorate as desired!
I made these little bugs by hand to match the cupcake liners. It was really easy, I just had to create the design in Illustrator, then print on custom cut labels, and stick to toothpicks.
HAHAHAHAA!!!! ‘Course I didn’t do that! I bought them at Ralph’s for like $1.00 a few weeks ago. I was prolly there buying dishwasher rinse or something sexy like that.
Remember this cupcake thief from last September?
Alright, FINE!!! A cupcake for breakfast…just this once.
From Annie’s Eats.
- CUPCAKE INGREDIENTS:
- 2-1/2 c cake flour
- 1-1/2 c sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 TBSP cocoa powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1-1/2 c vegetable oil
- 1 c buttermilk
- 2 TBSP red liquid food coloring
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp distilled white vinegar
- FROSTING INGREDIENTS
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 5 TBSP unsalted butter at room temperature
- 2-1/2 c confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- Heat oven to 350. Line cupcake pans with paper liners.
- In medium bowl, whisk together cake flour, sugar, baking soda, cocoa powder, and salt.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, vegetable oil, buttermilk, food coloring, vanilla, and vinegar. Beat on medium speed until well blended. Gradually beat in dry ingredients until well blended and smooth.
- Pour batter evenly into lined pans. Bake for about 18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool in pans for 5-10 minutes and then on wire racks until completely cool.
- Combine cream cheese and butter together in a medium bowl. Add vanilla and beat until creamy. Gradually add in the confectioners’ sugar and mix until well-combined and smooth.
- Frost cupcakes as desired!
- Pass these out at work, to your neighbors, use as bribes for the kids. Whatever you do, save one for yourself!