I know, it’s wayyyyyyyyyyyyy too early in the year to start making potato salad. Hold on a minute? Says WHO? I felt like making this salad in March and so I did.
Lord knows, G will gag and possibly need to be hospitalized if he so much as smells mayonnaise. Also, although I love almost ANY kind of potato salad, I wanted to try a brighter, lighter version. This one is AMAZING and can be eaten room temp, warm or cold.
This salad has NO mayo.
All you need is:
8 oz green beans, trimmed & cut into 1-1/2″ pieces
3 lbs small red-skinned potatoes, unpeeled, halved (if yours are medium-sized, then quarter them)
2 TBSP dry vermouth
2 TBSP white wine vinegar
1 large shallot, chopped
1 TBSP coarse-grained Dijon mustard
2/3 c olive oil
2 TBSP chopped fresh parsley
1. Boil beans in large pot of salted water until crisp/tender, about 4 minutes.
Drain. Transfer to a bowl of ice water. Drain. Pat dry with a towel. (Or let drip dry, like I did!)
2. Cook potatoes in a large pot of boiling salted water until just tender, about 12 minutes. Drain. Transfer to large bowl (I put them back in the pot to save dishes!) Sprinkle vermouth over hot potatoes. **NOTE: I had medium sized potatoes so I ended up cutting them into quarters. I think I overcooked them a tad but they were still excellent.**
Toss gently and let stand for 5 minutes.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, shallot, and mustard. Gradually whisk in oil.
Cool completely. Mix in green beans and parsley. Season with salt & pepper to taste.
I love this salad!! It’s a little more “refined” maybe? Fresher & definitely lighter than the mayo based potato salad we all know and still love. (Except for those of us who gag and throw themselves on the floor at the sight or even thought of mayo ((Christina Lynch & George, you know I’m talking to you…))) Wow, those parenthesis are blinding me!
- 8 oz green beans, trimmed & cut into 1-1/2 inch pieces
- 3 lbs small red-skinned potatoes, unpeeled, halved
- 2 TBSP dry vermouth
- 2 TBSP white wine vinegar
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- 1 TBSP coarse grained Dijon mustard
- ⅔ c olive oil
- 2 TBSP fresh parsley, chopped
- Boil beans in large saucepan of salted water until crisp-tender, about 4 minutes. Drain. Transfer to bowl of ice water. Drain. Pat dry with towel.
- Boil potatoes in a large pot of salted water until just tender, about 12 minutes. Drain. Transfer to large bowl.
- Sprinkle vermouth over hot potatoes. Toss gently & let stand for 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, shallot, and mustard. Gradually whisk in the oil. Pour over the potatoes & toss gently to coat.
- Cool potatoes completely. Add green beans & parsley & stir gently to combine. Season to taste with salt & pepper.