Don’t be put off by the Vegan aspect – this cake is delicious! It’s also totally safe to lick the batter since there are no raw eggs in it. (Not that I worry too much about that…)
If that STILL doesn’t grab you – think of this as the: “I haven’t been to the store in a while but I still want cake!” cake.
Besides love, all you need is:
2-1/4 c all purpose flour
1/2 c cocoa powder (I used Hershey’s but original author recommends Dutch processed)
1-1/2 c granulated sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 c warm coffee
1/2 c plus 1 TBSP vegetable oil
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
small handful of chocolate chips/chunks
Let’s get started! I promise you will like this. Mine came out almost like a brownie.
1. Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9 in bundt pan (I don’t have one so I used a loaf pan. I’ll include cooking times for both bundt pans and loaf pans.) and dust with cocoa powder.
2. Whisk dry ingredients (flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, baking powder & salt) together in a large bowl.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together coffee, oil and vanilla.
I didn’t take a picture of this so let your imagination run wild! Oooooo yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!
4. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Fold in chocolate chips.
5. Pour batter into the prepared pan. Pay attention to these baking times!
9″ BUNDT PAN: 30-35 mins
LOAF PAN: 35-40 mins
(or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean)
Dust with powdered sugar! I didn’t because one of my kids got the child proof lock off two of my kitchen drawers containing lots and lots of small tupperware dishes and lids as well as assortments of sippy cups and their various attachments. Well, anyway, I was distracted by my own yelling.
Serve with chocolate syrup, a glass of rice milk, or my favorite: a glass of cabernet.
From Joy the Baker.
- 2-1/4 c all purpose flour
- ½ c cocoa powder (I used Hershey’s but original author recommends Dutch processed)
- 1-1/2 c granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 c warm coffee
- ½ c plus 1 TBSP vegetable oil
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- OPTIONAL: small handful of chocolate chips/chunks
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease 9″ bundt pan or a loaf pan and dust with cocoa powder.
- Whisk together dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Whisk together wet ingredients (coffee, vegetable oil & vanilla) in a medium bowl.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Fold in chocolate chips (if you have ‘em!)
- Pour batter into baking pan. If BUNDT PAN: Bake 30-35 minutes. (or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.) If LOAF PAN: Bake 35-40 minutes. (or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.)
- Dust with powdered sugar & serve!