If you’ve never made bread before, this is the recipe for you! Get on over to the baked goods aisle of your neighborhood Ralph’s, Safeway, Publix, Stop & Shop, Grand Union, Path Mart, oh or Wegmans (how could I forget Wegmans?) and get you these ingredients in your re-usable hemp bag:
1. Bread flour (OR all purpose flour)
2. Fleishmann’s Active Dry Yeast (you can buy in little packets if you don’t want to commit to bread-making yet)
3. Salt (surely you already have salt???)
4. Parchment paper (this will be near the wax paper but is NOT the same as wax paper)
BIG TIP: Make the dough the night BEFORE you plan on eating the bread! You’ll see why…
(I have whole wheat flour in the ingredients pic too but you don’t need it! I’ll tell you the whole wheat option at the end of the post if you’re interested & have it.)
3 c bread flour (or all-purpose flour)
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp instant yeast
1.5 c lukewarm water
This is SO easy you won’t believe it. Get out a large mixing bowl and a wooden spoon. Also, fill a measuring cup with 1.5 cups lukewarm water.
Here we go:
1. Mix flour, yeast & salt together.
Add water & mix the whole dang thing with a wooden spoon
until it starts to “come together.”
Your dough will look sort of rough, or, rustic, if you will. If it looks that way, you are doing a kick ass job with this bread!
Now, dump it unceremoniously into a large mixing bowl, cover with saran wrap and place in a warm part of your kitchen if such an area exists. On top of the oven is usually warm b/c of the pilot light. **Update: I now leave it in the bowl I mixed it in to save on dishes!**
Leave it for 12-20 hours!
Check on it obsessively all the next day.
Or be normal and go to work or take care of your family while thinking about more important issues like social security, healthcare, the environment & Newt Gingrich. Ew, maybe not Newt as we are going to be eating soon…
Give yourself an hour to bake this if you need it with dinner. Here’s the last & STILL EASY part!
Find a good solid pot with lid that can withstand a 450 degree oven. Some of those Le Creuset pots etc. that I don’t own, by the way, might be good. I have my grandparents’ old pot which I use for everything. No plastic parts on it. Possibly loaded with lead & mercury but what, me worry?
Line the pot with parchment paper.
Throw away the mess you made cutting that out.
And put the scissors back. My new year’s resolution – to put things away this year. But only for ONE year.
Using just enough flour on your hands to GENTLY remove the dough from the bowl, carefully place the dough onto the parchment paper in your pot.
Put lid on pot
and place pot in COLD oven.
Turn oven on to 450 and set timer for 30 minutes.
After 30 minutes, take lid off and set timer for another 30 minutes.
Take pot out of oven, take bread out of pot & let it “rest” for 5 minutes before slicing.
Holy gluten, Batman!!! There is nothing like homemade bread!!
If you try it, I’d love to hear how it went in the comments section below…
- 3 c bread flour (or all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp Fleishmann’s instant yeast
- 1.5 c lukewarm water
- Mix flour, salt & yeast in a large mixing bowl. Add water & mix with wooden spoon.
- When dough starts coming together, cover with plastic wrap & store in a warm area for 12-20 hours.
- An hour before you plan to serve the bread, line an oven proof pot (with lid) with parchment paper. Carefully place dough in (using just a light dusting of flour to keep it from sticking to your hands) on the parchment paper. Put lid on.
- Place in COLD oven. Turn oven on to 450 and bake for 30 mins.
- Take lid off & bake another 30 mins.
- Remove bread from oven & let rest for 5 mins.