Why on Earth would anyone be baking ANYTHING here in Los Angeles? It’s in the high 80′s already at 11AM. I had this baked oatmeal in mind last weekend or week when it was getting cool & fall-like out and since I had all the ingredients, I went for it!
This recipe is great for a wholesome breakfast that can be reheated. Make it Sunday night and you have breakfast ready for the week!
Here’s what you need:
(I don’t necessarily recommend Skim Milk – it’s just that’s all I had in the house. I would use 2% or whole depending who you’re cooking for.)
This is optional:
I can’t help but notice these photos in the background.
Who are those good-looking lads?
Those aren’t lads! That’s my sister and me!! My mom liked to keep our hair short.
3 c rolled oats
1/2 c brown sugar
2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 c milk
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 c melted butter
1/4 c apple sauce
raisins or cranberries
ground flax seed
(No picture b/c I don’t actually have any!)
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl. Feel free to add a teaspoon of ground cloves if you have them. Or don’t!
3. Beat eggs into wet ingredients (milk, vanilla extract, apple sauce & melted butter.)
4. Add wet ingredients to dry & stir until combined. Add any of the optional ingredients you desire (i.e. have)!
5. Spread into greased loaf pan.
6. Bake for 25-30 minutes (depending on your oven.) I did mine for 25 minutes because I don’t like it too dry.
7. Slice & serve! You can eat it as-is (sliced on a plate) or serve in a bowl with milk. This keeps well in the fridge for about 5 days. I haven’t actually had it longer than 5 days.
Bea loves it. Maddie doesn’t care for it. George has a raisin issue. He likes raisins solo but he doesn’t like them “in” anything. These are curious issues upon which I am not qualified to comment.
- 3 c rolled oats
- ½ c brown sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 c milk
- 2 eggs
- ¼ c melted butter
- ¼ c apple sauce
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- raisins/dried cranberries
- frozen blueberries
- ground flax seed
- chopped nuts
- Preheat oven to 350 & grease a loaf pan.
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Beat wet ingredients in a small bowl.
- Add wet ingredients to dry & stir thoroughly.
- Add any optional ingredients you like!
- Bake 25-30 minutes.
- Serve as a slice on a plate or in a bowl with milk. Can be reheated for several days if kept in fridge. ENJOY!
Checkout the original recipe. I replaced half of the butter with apple sauce & I also halved the amount of sugar that was in the original. I tried it two ways so far:
1. Replace ALL the butter with apple sauce. and
2. Replace half the butter with apple sauce.
VERDICT: Some butter is yummy! This is NOT news. In the future I’ll use 1/4 c butter and 1/4 c apple sauce. Still cut the sugar as I think 1/2 c is still a lot of sugar. Also, try to use apple sauce with no sugar added. The ingredients should say, “apples” and nothing else.
What variations did you try? I’d love to hear from you below!